Putting new bathroom or kitchen countertops in your home or business is easy with these insider tips and tricks.
Whether you are building a new house and need to outfit your bathrooms and kitchen with countertops or have simply grown tired of your current counters, you may find that upgrading the countertop surfaces in your home is a bit more challenging than you had expected. A lot more goes into it than just picking up a sample or two and calling it good.
With some knowledge and understanding, you can rest assured that you will select the right countertops that suit your lifestyle and personal design aesthetic.
Keep scrolling to learn more.
7 Dos and Don’ts of Selecting New Bathroom and Kitchen Countertops
Selecting the perfect countertops for your space can feel overwhelming, but we’re here to help you out. There are things you must do—and not do— to meet your functional and design needs, wants, and preferences. Here’s what you need to know when selecting new bathroom and kitchen countertops:
- DO Carefully Take Accurate Measurements—This is one of the first steps you will take in any bathroom or kitchen upgrade, renovation, or new build project. It’s essential to take precise measurements for natural stone or engineered stone counters, such as quartz, marble, or granite.
Accurate measurements directly impact the size and number of slabs you’ll need, how many seams you’ll have, and where you’ll place them. You won’t want to find yourself without the correct amount of materials you’ll need or with an awkward, ill-placed seam.
- DO Check Out Slabs in Person — Shopping from the comfort of your own home is one of the biggest perks to enjoy. But, shopping online for a new shirt or a pair of shoes is not the same as shopping for your kitchen and bathroom counters. Viewing stone samples or full slabs on your screen isn’t the same as seeing them in real life.
By the same token, looking at small sample sizes in the showroom isn’t the same as seeing a whole slab. Before you pull the trigger on a stone countertop, look and shop around the warehouse to choose your actual slab. There are so many variations in patterns and colors you want to make sure you get exactly what you want so you are happy with the final results.
- DON’T Forget About the Other Aspects of Your Kitchen—You may have your heart set on a specific countertop. But before you set your choice in stone (pun intended!), make sure you consider all of the other aspects of the kitchen, such as your backsplash, fixtures, paint color, flooring, and cabinets.
You want your property to feel cohesive in its design. If your design is not well thought out and coordinated, you run the risk of the entire space looking messy and all over the place. So, make sure the countertops you select go with all the other aspects of your kitchen or bathroom.
- DO Think About Your Lifestyle—Choosing the right countertops for your space can feel overwhelming, but it’s important not to consider your lifestyle. Ask yourself guiding questions, such as these:
- Do you have a busy household?
- How much traffic will your bathrooms and kitchen experience?
- Do you like to cook or bake often?
- How much maintenance are you able to handle?
The answer to these questions will help you on your journey to find the best countertops for your kitchen and bathrooms.
- DON’T Overlook Your Options—There are many options for your kitchen and bathroom countertops. Popular choices include granite, quartz, and marble. These natural stones look elegant, luxurious, and classic.
You may have already ruled out a few materials because of what you’ve heard about them regarding maintenance and cost. But you may want to reconsider! Sure, marble may require a bit of additional care compared to quartz, but a lot of it is something you can do yourself in an hour or two. Moreover, if you find the right supplier, you might be surprised by how affordable your dream countertop could be.
- DO Think About the Future When Choosing Countertops—Upgrading your bathrooms and kitchen with high-quality countertops like marble, quartz, and granite is one of the best investments you can make and a great way to increase your property’s equity and style. The style, color, and material you choose directly impact your home or business’ worth.
Moreover, if you plan to sell your property in the future, it’s smart to think about what types, styles, and colors of countertops are popular among most homebuyers. While a bold and colorful countertop may fit your aesthetic, it might not be what attracts other buyers. You may want to find a counter that fits inside the box of normal, something that is both versatile and neutral, rather than something eccentric and specific to your style and preferences.
- DON’T Forget to Ask Your Questions — You’re probably familiar with the adage, “there is no such thing as a stupid question.” The same applies to selecting your kitchen or bathroom counters. Always ask your friends and family for their input, your contractors for their advice, and professional suppliers for their experienced and knowledgeable opinions.
When it comes to new builds and renovation projects, failing to ask your questions can result in missed deadlines, extended timelines, increased expenditures, and disappointing outcomes. You don’t ever need to feel embarrassed about the questions you have. Asking it could save you a lot of time, money, and heart and headache in the long run.
Need Bathroom or Kitchen Countertops? Contact Granite 4 Less Today!
If you’re in the market for new bathroom or kitchen countertops, the professionals at Granite 4 Less can help! Our team of experts is here to assist you in finding the best counters for your Salt Lake City property at a price that fits your budget. Check out our vast selection of high-quality marble, granite, quartz countertops, and bathroom and kitchen sinks to complete your space. Contact us today to learn more!